Road Race Guidelines
Race organizers are expected to follow these guidelines when hosting a road race on UNC Chapel Hill Campus:
- UNC Police presence is required at road races.
- Unauthorized races without UNC Police presence will result in loss of road race booking privileges for the subsequent two academic years.
- A medical response unit must be notified of your 5k.
- Run/walk must be confined to paved surfaces (roadways/sidewalks) and avoid grass, dirt, gravel, or other landscaped areas.
- Runners must run on the sidewalk unless they are crossing a road in a crosswalk. Unless the police are present, runners cross the road at their own risk.
- Deployment of any colored cornstarch or similar colored powder product is prohibited on campus.
- Run/Walk events involving or promoting the binge consumption of any food or beverage is prohibited on campus.
- No dogs are permitted on the racecourse.
- If the race will be sponsored or co-sponsored by a non-university organization, a prerace meeting with SAC staff to outline each group/organization’s responsibilities for the race. Sponsoring organization(s) must follow the rules, regulations, and parameters of UNC 5K Run/ Walk Policy.
- Organizers must work with a timing company, no matter the style (i.e. walking vs. running) or length of the race.
- In certain weather conditions, additional cooling and medical services may be required after consultation with Emergency Management.
- Cancellations should be made at least 3 weeks in advance.
- Groups are subject to each venue and service provider’s cancellation policy.
- Races are not permitted to be booked on the same day as home games for football, men’s basketball, or other large tournaments.
- Organizations/groups may not put a hold on more than one race date per semester.
Sharing and printing options: